Monday, March 30, 2015

5 Reasons Why I Am Grateful To Be A Singaporean.



Pictures drawn by Shayne and his classmates last year

Today, I'm aware of the fact that my life as a Singaporean is better than what I deserve it to be. The world around us is full of pain, hardship, suffering and turmoil. Giving thanks and gratitude is not our natural disposition, and sometimes, it even feels disingenuous. However after the past 7 days, I can't help but feel that I should be grateful for my life in Singapore. Being grateful is a choice, so today, I chose to make a list.

Here are my top 5 reasons to give thanks today:

1) I am thankful for the good healthcare we have. Whenever I'm sick, all I have to do is to visit the nearest GP which is less than a 10minutes walk. Our polyclinics and government hospitals are well-equipped, and our doctors and nurses are very well-trained. In this country of ours, we don't have to drive 1-2 hours just to see a doctor. Most importantly, I am thankful to be able to deliver my two children in a safe and conducive environment, and that's because of the wonderful healthcare that we have.

2) I am thankful for the harsh laws of my country. Drugs are banned, and drug traffickers are sentenced to death without any hesitation. Need I say more?

3) I am thankful for the education which I've received from my country.
Yes, I'll admit, our education system is stressful and some students are over-competitive for their own good. Moreover, some parents become over-zealous in regards to their child's education and are labelled 'kiasu'. However, this is the by-product of our education system which one does NOT need to follow. We can choose to excel in our studies, and NOT become an over-competitive academic student. At the end of the day, I'd rather be in a country that stresses on the importance on education, than to live in a country that doesn't believe in education.


4) I am thankful to live in a Clean and Green City. There are trees along every road and park in every estate. There's a big tree just outside my bedroom's window and there's a tree everywhere I turn. :) Singapore is the only green city I've come across all these years.

5) I am thankful to be able to start a company in Singapore. We're one of the easiest countries to start a business- all you need to do is to log into Acra, fill up a form which takes about 15 minutes or so, and in 1-2 days time, your business will be successfully incorporated! We don't have to bribe agents or authorities in ridiculous amounts unlike other corrupted countries, and all you need before you start a company in Singapore is money (for legitimate reasons such as monthly rental and staff salary), market research of your industry and faith that your business will succeed in this city.
  
“If you were smart in 1807 you moved to London, if you were smart in 1907 you moved to New York City, and if you are smart in 2007 you move to Asia… Singapore 40 years ago was a swamp with a half a million people. Singapore now, 40 years later, is the country with the largest foreign currency reserve per capita of any country in the world…. It’s got the best education in the world, the best health care in the world. It’s astonishing to come to Singapore and see that everything works…. Singapore is going to be the financial center of Southeast Asia, probably Asia, and likely one of the top financial centers of the world.”

Jim Rogers, US Investor


As such, I am thankful for living in Singapore, and thankful for raising my children in this city. I know that they'll be safe in this country and they'll be given ample opportunities to lead a life worth living for, in this city we call Home.

Here’s my challenge to you: Take some time today, wherever you are and whatever you’re doing, to come up with a gratitude list. If it doesn’t come naturally, don’t let that stop you from still giving thanks. There is still much to be thankful for, if we only have eyes to see. :)

<3

2 comments:

Thank you for your lovely comment!

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...